74HC595N is a simple 8-bit shift register IC.
Simply put, this shift register is a device that allows additional inputs or outputs to be added to a microcontroller by converting data between parallel and serial formats.
Your chosen microprocessor is able to communicate with the
74HC595N using serial information then gathers or outputs information in a parallel (multi-pin) format. Essentially it takes 8 bits from the serial input and then outputs them to 8 pins.
This small DIP packaged IC contains an 8-bit, serial-in parallel-out shift register that feeds an 8-bit D-type storage register with parallel 3-state outputs.
- Logic Type: Shift Register.
- Voltage Range of 2 V to 6 V.
- High-Current 3-State Outputs Can Drive Up to 15 LSTTL Loads.
- Low Power Consumption: 80-μA.
- ±6-mA Output Drive at 5 V.
- Logic Case Style: DIP.
- No. of Pins: 16.
- Operating Temperature Range: -40°C to +125°C.