SparkFun 16 Output I/O Expander Breakout - SX1509 is a 16-channel GPIO expander with an I2C interface – that means with just two wires, your microcontroller can interface with 16 fully configurable digital input/output pins.
SparkFun 16 Output I/O Expander Breakout - SX1509 can do so much more than just simple digital pin control. It can produce PWM signals, so you can dim LEDs.
SparkFun 16 Output I/O Expander Breakout - SX1509 can also act as a level shifter to connect a microcontroller running at one voltage level to a component running at a different voltage level, thus eliminating the need for extra level translating circuits.
It can be set to blink or even breathe pins at varying rates. And, with a built-in keypad engine, it can interface with up to 64 buttons set up in an 8x8 matrix.
- Enable Direct Level Shifting Between I/O Banks and Host Controller.
- 5.5V Tolerant I/Os, Up to 15mA Output Sink on All I/Os.
- Integrated LED Driver with Intensity Control.
- On-Chip Keypad Scanning Engine Supports Up to 8x8 Matrix (64 Keys).
- 16 Channels of True Bi-directional Style I/O.
- 400kHz I2C Compatible Slave Interface.